Shambhala operates entirely through the care and contributions of its members. We depend upon one another for the energy and generosity that keep our doors open, and for the creativity and kindness that provide a space for all to practice and study. Everyone is invited to become a member of the Birmingham Shambhala Meditation Center.
A member of Shambhala makes a connection to mindfulness-awareness practice, and works to integrate that practice into daily life. This connection may also be made through contemplative practices based on mindfulness-awareness. As part of the global mandala of Shambhala, members are dedicated to nurturing enlightened society.
Membership has three aspects:
- Mindfulness-awareness practice. In addition to individual and group practice, members can take advantage of the many programs and classes offered at the Shambhala Center. A meditation instructor is offered to provide support and guidance in the development of one’s practice.
- Volunteering. Most activities at the Center are conducted by volunteers, and there are many ways to help. Members donate time to the Center based on their interests and personal availability.
- Financial Support. The Center depends on the financial generosity of its members in order to operate. All members are asked to make regular financial contributions. The amount of support is always based on one’s ability to contribute. Of course, one can make a financial contribution without being a member. To do so visit our Donations and Bequests page.
What are the benefits of membership?
Connection with our community by becoming a member helps support your practice and strengthen your understanding of Shambhala Buddhism in many ways:
- Members receive ongoing meditation instruction with a personal meditation instructor
- Membership pin
- Ability to create a Shambhala account login which gives access to
- Shambhala’s world-wide network at www.shambhalanetwork.org
- Member resources at www.shambhala.org
- The Member Database
- Set up your Shambhala account at https://login.shambhala.info
Becoming a Member
To discuss Center membership in greater depth, including your options for financial and volunteer support of the Center please contact Marion Buckley 205-908-5405 or firstname.lastname@example.org. She would be delighted to assist you in becoming a Member of Shambhala.
Those who are in the sangha are warriors, because they are trying to overcome samsara. Members of the sangha support one another and care for one another. They are not perfect, but they inspire us because they are people who want to deepen their practice of mindfulness, awareness and compassion. The sangha is also a container. When we practice together, the sangha helps our discipline. We realize that there are other people around who are going through the same thing. That gives us a feeling of encouragement.
– Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche